Thursday, October 30, 2008

Online Toolkit

So they have a nifty thing that keeps you super-updated on your application status. It had a tiny bit of information before I was nominated, but it exploded overnight.

It tells me exactly what I still have to do. They haven't mailed my medical kit yet, but there is a checklist of all the things I am going to have to do. It's a ton! I may be able to use my physical from June, but I have to convince the doctor to transfer all that to the Peace Corps form as well as order all the bloodwork. It might be easier to just have a new physical. When I get the forms, I should be able to tell.

They reimburse you for the medical expenses, but only a little, like $200 for everything. I should be ok with student health center, but it's got to be tough for people without insurance. Or even with insurance- I doubt it covers all the extra bloodwork and shots.

The website also has a section to learn more about your region, ways to thing about how you'll adapt to the culture, and other neat exercises.

It also has a section of things you can print and send to your family. Like how safe and healthy and well-trained you'll be. Useful. Perhaps it will help set the parents at ease.

No comments: