Thursday, September 17, 2009

Recipe: Smashed Cucumbers

I have acquired a Chinese cookbook which I am deciphering one recipe at a time. I figure since I'm pretty much translating them for myself already, I might as well share. Here's the first, alternatively translated as "smacked cucumbers."

Ingredients- This all to taste, so the measurements are my own.

Cucumbers (I used 4 Chinese ones which are small- 1 big American one or 2 medium)
Garlic, minced (3 cloves)
Soy sauce (about 4 Tbs)
Vinegar (about 4 Tbs- this is Chinese vinegar- maybe use rice wine vinegar?)
Salt (pinch)
Sugar (pinch)

1. Cut the ends of the cucumbers. Smack them. [The idea is that jagged edges hold the dressing better, I think. The recipe says to use the flat side of a heavy cleaver. I used a small frying pan with moderate force. If you have big cukes, you might want to cut it in half first. Or you could just slice them like carrot sticks.]

2.Mix the cucumber pieces and garlic in a bowl. Add soy sauce and vinegar, then sugar and salt.
3.Toss and serve.

No comments: